Monday, May 21, 2012

It takes a village to raise a pig

Today I went to Frenchville to pick up our pigs.  We are raising three altogether, two for us and one for Bonnie and Hilton.  They are various sizes and we paid $65 for the smaller ones and $70 for the bigger one.  They were happy to be out on green grass but spend most of the day laying in the shade trying to stay cool. There is always a lot of anticipation in town about when we will get our pigs. I have been asked probably a dozen times this week when they are coming. The folks in town seem to enjoy seeing them out in the yard. I purposely put the pig pen out near the road  because the few kids in town like to come by and see them.  Many people help out feeding them by throwing in their food scraps.  Pat Kelly is an older woman in town who lives alone and each week I find a  small container of food scraps on my doorstep that she brings by for the pigs. It always brings a smile to my face and I am amazed by her faithfulness and that there are still people like her in such a fast paced world.  Most people would not take the time or effort  to bother with it.  I think folks are reminded of the good old days when they raised pigs in their back yard. My mom says  I should put up a sign out front that says "It takes a village to raise a pig!".  We feel happy to see people stop by and enjoy them.

 It was in the 90's today.  The leaves have just burst open in the past couple days and the black flies are here with a vengeance.  The fiddleheads are also up on the flat across from the house.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment